Sunday, February 20, 2011

Oishii, Shio!

I finally had a chance to go out with friends this weekend. It's been a while so that alone is grounds for writing about it! 

Friday night we revisited a restaurant I've been to before, Tulsi.  It was a nice night visiting with co-workers (both those who no longer work with me and those I still work with). As always, the food was delicious too!  However, this time I feel it's worth focusing my remarks on a new favorite, Shio.

This new japanese restaurant is situated outside of the downtown 'scene' in an underwhelming part of the town. It's centered in a little strip mall that had come into disrepair after the closure of a major supermarket chain some years ago. The individual spaces are slowing being occupied again, but at first there were just sandwich-signs posted on the corner of the parking lot to notify passers-by of the new shops and restaurants

I totally missed getting "in" on the news of these new places in their first days. After my all-time favorite sushi restaurant, Sakurabana, closed and then my stand-by, Taipei & Tokyo, closed their doors just after the New Year, I was at a loss for where to get sushi! So when I began to hear there was a great new japanese restaurant,  I had to try it. After visiting, I'd venture to guess that the quality of this place could have had a direct impact on the closure of one or both of the other restaurants.. Shio is awesome!



I have been to Shio twice and each time has been spectacular. You need to go early if you don't have reservations, and this is not just on weekends. At 5:30pm, my friend and I were unable to get a private booth with the recessed floor. The authentic paper walls make for a unique dining experience and some much appreciated privacy. Regardless, the main area of the restaurant is equally as lovely to dine in. This time we were seated in the more common area with recessed tables. I hadn't thought it through well enough when I decided to wear a skirt as the step down was a large one. I managed, sort of.

The ambiance is nice, large and open but doesn't every feel empty. Maybe because it never appears to be really empty. It's the food that draws people back time and again. It is great. It is fresh and reliable. Now, I can mostly speak for the sushi since that is why I go. The Fantasy Roll was spectacular.. crunchy yellowtail with avocado. It was amazing. The spicy tuna roll and salmon sushi didn't pale in comparison to that roll either; everything was awesome.. succulent, smooth and delicious.

My friend got the beef teriyaki and I have to say, it was just "ok. It was way over done for "medium rare".. but I am not one to order cooked Japanese food instead of sushi. Nu-uh..  I love the silky, soft sushi, cool and fresh against the slightly sweet rice and slight warmth of wasabi. Melting in my mouth. Mmmm

And I don't know what it is about Japanese and Chinese restaurants, but I crave a fruity drink.. a Mai Tai or a Scorpion Bowl. We had a scorpion bowl the last time.. awesome. Really, really good. This time though, I ordered a classic Mai Tai - sweet but strong, a perfect compliment to the warmth of the wasabi with the sushi. My companion for the night joined me the first round with his own Mai Tai but with his order of a Sapporo in the second round, I am assuming the Mai Tai was a little on the sweet side for him. Admittedly, the Mai Tai is sweeter then the Scorpion Bowl which we both enjoyed last time... two straws fighting in the bowl to get to the bottom of the punch. Not just a drink but some pure entertainment!



Shio is a great addition to the area. The location is a pro and a con- outside of the main downtown area, it's not an ideal start to an evening out at the bars, but it has plenty of parking and is lesser known by those folks who are going out to bar hop. That didn't stop us last night though.. we chose Shio for dinner before an early movie, then meeting friends at a local bar to listen to a band whose schtick was to sing songs with profane lyrics and intermittent comedy routines. It was unique and entertaining.. but I'm not sure what we expected from the local Trivia night host and his wife who've formed a band.  Last night is one of those nights goes to show that Portsmouth offers pretty much anything you could want as far as restaurants and bars. If you're looking, you can find a fun time. And in my opinion, Shio is the best sushi around. Thumbs way up!

No comments:

Post a Comment