This past weekend could be classified as an eating frenzy. It was planned out such that three fine meals would be scheduled back to back, but that is how it all came together. And I am that much happier (and unhealthier) for it.
Friday night we were invited to dine at a private dinner club in Portsmouth, NH called THE 100 Club. I had been for drinks before, and visited the space years ago pre-club both as a steakhouse and as a tapas restaurant. I was a fan then, even if the space is strange.The 100 club has a reputation for being overpriced and ostentatious though it is also a social networkers dream - frankly, my nightmare. So, I was glad that the lounge/bar that our host & Hostess had selected for our table wasn't crowded and we could enjoy a catch up dinner in peace.
I learned one important lesson which is that always take the advice of someone who frequents an establishment. Had I know that THEN, I would have been blessed with my own serving of theTuna Carpaccio but instead, I had to get a taste and proceed in salivating over my hosts' appetizer. I got a warm spinach salad which was good at the time (cashews, goat cheese, etc) but was clearly almost forgettable since I had difficulty recalling the appetizer I chose in the end for this blog. ;) And honestly, I could've made a MUCH better version of my dinner - Veal panfried w/ lemon and capers. I've NO idea what cut of veal they used but it was very very fatty. Dessert was awesome though - vanilla creme brulee, as was the Pinot Grigio. I'd go back, but only if I didn't have to pay like this time.
Saturday night started off as a beer and queso at ON THE BORDER, a favorite for the fast and easy but good mexican fare. But I had been tricked and ended up with a 9:30pm reservation at the restaurant of all restaurants, FORE STREET, in Portland, Maine. The ambiance is warm and inviting. The staff are wearing jeans and aprons and the patrons are in varied attire so it's not too formal and it's not too casual. The kitchen is in the middle of the main dining room, for all to witness the genius that is their daily menu - changing every day!
So, we started w/ the daily pizza. This day it had Balsamico, Rapini and Clothcovered Cheddar. It was DIVINE. I meant, cheese, bread and balsamic? Who DOESN'T Like that combination?
For dinner I got the halibut that came w/ mushrooms , broth and some green veg. It was awesome but I was full before finishing. And I realized I'd probably ordered the lamest meal. Mike did MUCH better then me, by ordering a trio of lamb. It was AWESOME. But no dessert, just too much food.
Sunday evening was a belated celebration of my 10 years working for my employers. We went to THE BLACK TRUMPET in Portsmouth, NH. Which I love! I started w/ the BLACK TRUMPET cocktail, yummy!!! and we shared the Meze Plate which had a fishcake, seared sea scallop, and halibut ceviche. That was FANTASTIC. Again, I messed up w/ dinner and went for the Lobster & shrimp Phyllo pot pie. It was ok. Tasty but I know I hadn't "won" per se. And opted for no dessert again - though I was tempted.
And so now I am a big old food coma blob, sitting at work, eating diet food while preparing for one of my last nights out this week. Ixtapa Mexican for a belated Mother's Day dinner tonight. And tomorrow night? Who knows.. but I can pretty much guarantee I will ike it.. I mean, it IS food! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment