It is fair to say how UNFAIR it is to get the stomach flu on the eve of your pre-birthday weekend. I had no idea what plans were in store for me so I am grateful for a quick-ish recovery though I am afraid that my delicate state probably affected my enjoyment of the experience I had in DC/MD this past weekend. I had a great time but it would've rocked hardcore if I'd been feeling 100%.
I spent Saturday afternoon being pampered at the Spa at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Washington, DC. In a freak showing of freedom, I went commando in the spa hottub and jet showers. It was somewhat forced upon me when I had forgotten to pack a bathing suit but the experience was somewhat liberating. Of course, no one else by my sister was present so I was saved the embarassment of being naked a la "sex & the city" steamroom scenes.
The evening was a delight of GASTROnomic proportions. We put our name in to reserve a table at Granville Moore's, which was a 90 min wait. I was dubious - what is it about this hovel of a restaurant stations in NE DC, amongst a Popeye's and other unsavory places. It may be up and coming but it's got a ways to go.. however, I was assured the wait was more then worthwhile. And wait we did -with a few Allegash Whites (homage to Maine) at the Red & Black bar/tavern.

This bar is biker bar meets chic.yuppies. The food menu (though we did not eat) is catered but there is a microwave and panini grill behind the bar. That being said, the food smelled surprisingly good - red beans n rice, muffaletta sandwich, etc. The wall board/menu was much more about the brews though. Nothing on draft but they had a wide and varied assortment of beverages, including Woodchuch Cider, Harpoon Kilsch(?), and Alleghash White. I am a wheat beer girl - Alleghash went down smoothly.
And sure enough, we were called to our table at Granville Moore's about 1 hr 45 min after putting our names on the wait list. It was worthwhile, as I was told.

We were seated in the window overlooking, well, construction on the street, but the ambiance was unique, festive and very, very lively. The menu seems limited but has a clear focus on stepped up comfort foods with a burger and other pub-type entrees. The go-to food though are the Mussels. Prepared 5 different ways, I chose the Fromage Bleu that had spinach, blue cheese, bacon and shallots. My sister got the mushroom preparation so I was lucky to try a second variety. We split a large order of frites (delicious fries) with three dipping sauces... horseradish cream, garlic mayo and chipotle mayo.. very French. Very Very good.
The steaming bowls of mussels arrived at our table along with some bread for dipping and the crisp frites. I strongly advise there people to consider sharing two orders of mussels as one a-piece turned out to be far too much food. Of course, we had started with an appetizer of Ricotta Cakes that tempered my appetite after a hungry wait. Nonetheless, the portions are generous and the mussels are HUGE... so dig in and don't forget to leave room for bread to dip in the amazing broth waiting under the massive serving of shellfish.
The food was good, it was worth the wait, and the establishment was a total dive which made wearing jeans MORE then right.. in other words, this fit all my criteria for a great place. Comfortable, understated refined dining.. 4 stars. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment