My last soiree with girlfriends took place at the new New Orleans themed restaurant, 106, at 106 Penhallow Street in Portsmouth, NH. This haven in the 17 1/2 mile stretch of seacoast on NH is my stomping ground, though I have been remiss about staying up to date on the changes in and around our fine city of late. Many new establishments have come (and gone) so I may be far behind in letting you know of places as they arrive to the area. Fortunately, some have been popular enough to stay around so I could pick back up and not missing trying them out... even better, sticking it out so I can let you know if you might want to think about trying it for yourself.
106 Penhallow seems to have some staying power. Based on two recent visits of my own and numerous other made by friends and acquaintances, the reviews are consistently good. The fact that it's busy adds to a fun and enjoyable ambience both of which are critical to it's longevity. Around here, there is no guessing what that means whether it's months or years, but I would hedge to bet that this little hint of Bourbon Street will be around through winter. We can hope at least!
The appetizers, while not hearty portions, are very flavorful. The wild mushroom crostini is notable, rich with a reduced glaze and plenty of goat cheese and sausage to be sure the flavors all combine in your mouth. We tried to pass this around a table of 5 but one bite just didn't suffice, so plan on no more then two sharing an appetizer here. Otherwise, you'll be left wanting.
The cocktails, while I can't speak for them all, seem to be good. I have enjoyed a lemon ginger concoction each time, fresh, light and delicious. It's pricey at $10, but nothing like a glass of cabernet that my friend ordered.. having thought it a house wine, she was flabbergasted to find a $12 glass of wine (2 glasses at $24 to be precise) rounding out her final tab. Makes my cocktail look like a bargain although she will profess her wine was really tasty ( and a perfect accompaniment to her Tuna Burger.)
The Tuna Burger was the entree that I had on my first visit. Piled high with avocado and homemade slaw, the fine and tender sushi grade seared tuna was a little cool for my liking. Having mentioned this on my second visit, my friend asked the waiter about it, and sure enough her tuna burger came out cooked almost the same BUT piping hot. Now I know to maybe just mention how I like my tuna cooked and it should come out a better match... on this second visit, I chose Steak Frites. The delicate, almost shoe string fries were crisp and delightful alongside the tender steak. I asked for mine medium and it came a little more well cooked, but the meat was still tender and tasty. The roquefort sauce on the side was interesting, adding a salty, cheesy dressing to the steak. I didn't need or want it on every bite, but it was a good option to have. My friends were all pleased with their entrees, all the plates were licked clean, so I dare say it was a smashing success, on both occasions.
No one tried dessert on either visit; the selections are limited though interesting with a classic (chewy) pecan pie, a white chocolate bread pudding of some sort, etc. They didn't GRAB me, and as a sweets person that seemed unfortunate since I associate New Orleans with some awesome, unique delicacies like beignets and pralines. Alas, there are plenty of fine bakeries and desserts within the town that I don't think this will affect 106. Between the busy atmosphere and the reliable food, it should be around for a while. Besides, it's a Jay McSharry investment and there is something about his formula for restaurants that almost always yields success. I wish I knew his secret, not that I want to own a restaurant, but the insight could be helpful for something. Anything. Business is business. And I would take my business to 106 Penhallow again. Cozy, affordable, & tasty.
On the other hand, and I won't take any more time then I need to to say this, Foobar is an entirely different story. That new venue is unlikely to last. The food was mediocre, the waitstaff, while pleasant, seemed bored and the dining room was overstaffed for the lack of customers. The sad, sad, sad excuse for karaoke in the downstairs bar left me wanting to get the HECK OUT OF THERE. I had been sorry to see the Muddy River close since it had been a mainstain on the square. But now I'm even more sad because Foobar, as the replacement in it's location, doesn't even pretend to have The Muddy River's charm or local feel. I sure hope someone is daring enough to try something better in that spot though it is going to have to be someone willing to get creative with the space. The dining room, in two parts, is too large.. and you can't turn over that number of tables on a quiet evening. I would think you have to make use of the space in some other manner to attract cutomers. Live music perhaps? Ah well.. it will be something else soon, if I had to guess. In which case, I'll have to check it out let you know if maybe someone was thinking along the same lines.
In the meantime, it's time for me to stop obsessing about food I ate last week .. and get some rest. Hope this finds you well.. and gives me an outlet to a brighter future. It's been a tough road recently and I've eaten my way along the path - so I am grateful for this outlet, even if it's encouraging my 'crutch'. So be it. I am only human - humble and human :)


No comments:
Post a Comment