Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Jack's

It just so happens that the name "Jack" is a very relevant name in my family. Both grandfathers, while christened "John" were called "Jack", and now my nephew carries on the tradition. Each of them are very unique people, but all of them are deeply loyal, warm and loving family-oriented men (and boy.) I love the name and I love the people, even though I wasn't fortunate to know my maternal grandfather as he passed when my mum was just 11 herself. Regardless, I have come to believe it is an honor to have that name, and though common nowadays, there is a certain type of person who can stand behind the simplicity of the word while offering the complexity of the way it has come to be defined, at least in my family.



So it was with a great deal of curiosity that I went along to a well-known pub in Kennebunk for a light dinner and drinks last night. Federal Jack's sits on the waters edge overlooking the Kennebunk River, a unique location offering spectacular views especially now, as the sun blazes down on New England for longer, warmer days. In this port, large ships were built and sailed, including the "Federal Jack", one of the most famous ships built in the area in 1908. Some might say that bigger history was yet to be made on that site, as this was the birthplace of the Shipyard Brewing Company. And it goes without saying that they are well known for their brews, and have very loyal patrons of their own, as observed by the lengthy collection of assigned mugs hanging overheard the bar for the pub's Mug Club members.

For a Monday night, the place was abuzz. Families, groups of friends, couples and some individuals were poised in various areas of the restaurant, filling up most of the place without making it feel overcrowded. The wall of windows gives the restaurant and airy feel, light and welcoming, spacious and comfortable all at the same time. I felt more then comfortable joining the mostly male customers at the bar, by myself. So, I grabbed a stool, ordered a Summer Wheat and checked out the menu.
As expected, they had standard pub fare. Hamburgers, salads, sandwiches, buffalo tenders as well as some more hearty meals. I opted for a regular order of buffalo tenders, and sipped my very smooth Summer Wheat ale that came, appropriately, with a juicy slice of lemon. Yum. And before I was able to drink half my pint, the tenders came out piping hot with a crisp, spicy coating and a side of blue cheese. Again, yum.

I was once a member of a mug club; I may still be as far as I know. There is a sense of belonging associated with the assumed frequency of your patronage. I don't have that association any longer, though I suspect I might feel 'at home' in that place. I haven't been back for a pint in over a year, and havent' stepped foot into the building in at least 9 months. A long, sad story. So, I was glad to feel 'at home' here, in Federal Jack's. It is by no means convenient nor local. Nor do I expect to make the trip up to the area from home, a good 45 minute drive, often enough to qualify for the mug club, but I enjoyed the familiarity that came with the ambiance and the people and the food. I could see this place making it seem right to bring out the cribbage board again, something I miss and remember fondly.

It's not going to be my CHEERS, where everybody will know my name. But at least it was cheery. And to the patrons of Federal Jack's, the kind staff, and now future patrons, I say, "Cheers."


No comments:

Post a Comment