Lake Wikiwas
My entire family is made up of water people. Some swim better then others but aside from the obvious benefits of water for it's cooling factors, there is a sheer joy that water brings from it's sound, it's look, and it's smell. Whether it's chlorinated pools or brine-y sea air, I am at peace near and in the water. Not boats, water. I go to sleep at night listening to simulated crashing waves and sea gull cries. I could do without the sea gulls, but I think they were added for authenticity. Whatever.
Now, we have had our run-ins with water as our nemesis. The flood of Mother's Day a few years back was one such event that I soon wish to forget. The tide was at an all time high, the moon's cycle was pushing the tide higher and then the wind. Water poured into the house on Main Street not once or twice but three times before the end of those few years was up. And that was just on Main Street. The Mexico house has had to endure Mother Nature's hurricane schedule, and while we've fared well there, we hold our breath each season. So, why do we rest close to the water? Why is it we are drawn to the lakes, rivers and oceans that meander wherever they choose, taking no consideration for buildings, cars or people? I think we do so precisely for the raw beauty of it's natural ways and paths. Water can not be tamed, and so it is one of the last things that really does weave it's own way amongst the man made structures that we put in it's path or within it's shores.
Water is majestic, powerful and god-like. I am in pure awe of the light glistening off it's surface, of the world beneath the waves of which we know so little, and of the power and fury it can yield in the midst of a chaotic storm. But most of all, I like it's peace. It brings a calm over me and a feeling of joy that started in my childhood, long before my first memories. Humans are something like 90% water, and since we rely upon it for survival, we honor it's role, it's necessity, and in turn, it's presence as a whole. For those that don't, water will always win.
The only win-win, is when we sit down and take a moment to appreciate a view that is as clear and as sparkly as the NH lakes on a blazing weekend or the Merrimac River on Memorial Day. And I am fortunate to live in a state that has both gorgeous lakes and almost 18 miles of seacoast with some rather nice beaches. I am fortunate enough to be in the presence of water at whatever turn I choose. And this is yet another reason why, in my humble opinion, NH is a great state.. where I choose to live!
Merrimac River, Amesbury, MA.
No comments:
Post a Comment