Friday, March 16, 2012

Like a Hologram

We might be in the sticks compared to many cities, but central and southern NH is still a hotspot on the tours of great artists. We are fortunate to attract a lot of up and coming indie singer/songwriters to the smaller venues like Tupelo, Blue Ocean, The Music Hall, Capitol Center for the Arts and Port City Music Hall. I have my favorite places but I go wherever I need to go in order to see some of the newer stars of our day.

I was fortunate to see Katie Herzig open for Brandi Carlile twice in recent years, once at the Music Hall in Portsmouth, NH and once at the House of Blues in Boston, MA. She delivered a soulful and innocent set of her own songs, lyrical and poetic while still remaining soft and delicate in approach. She has recently released a new album so when I heard she was on tour, I have to go and see her live. She was playing that the Tupelo Hall in Londonderry, NH and while the show didn't sell out, there was a nice audience of appreciative fans there to greet her.

Amber Rhubarb (I am spelling phonetically) opened and she had the same whimsical delivery as I remember Katie having. Little did I know that Katie has come into her own and now synthesizes her music with a myriad of complex tones, including a virtual orchestra of instruments! It was electric, vibrant and a grown up version of the music I had seen her perform before, with a splattering of favorites from her prior albums. Needless to say, the audience was gripped. She delivered an outstanding performance and I was once again, glad to be in New Hampshire where we have the opportunity for dynamic artists come to play and we know well enough to go and see them!

Check her out.. Katie Herzig. And for your viewing pleasure.. a favorite song of mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment