The first was in downtown Burlington, which is fun for the ambiance and vibe of a 'happenin' college town. The Daily Planet is an eclectic american bistro serving a variety of indulgent cocktails, as well as meals such as Short Rib Sloppy Joe, the Planet Burger, Allegash Salt Cod Fish and Chips, Chicken N Biscuits, Grilled Flank Steak and fries, etc.

I chose to have a Mali juice cocktail which was a spin off a mojito, but with ginger and vanilla. It was FANTASTIC. I have every intention on replicating this divine concoction at home once I figure out how to master the flavor combination. But at $7 I would not hesitate to go back and get it at The Daily Planet again!

For dinner, I ordered the Boyden Farm Short Rib "sloppy joe" which was a generous portion of shredded tender short ribs bathed in a tangy barbecue sauce. It was heaped onto a hot, fresh hamburger bun and topped with a homemade coleslaw that wasn't overpowering or dripping in mayonnaise, thankfully. On the side were some pickles (pass) and classic onion rings. All in all, a satisfying meal for the 'hungry man' or woman. This was no manwich and for that I was very very grateful.
I was not so lucky at Monty's Tavern in Williston, VT. At first I thought I would get the chicken sandwich but I did overhear the waitress serving the only other seated bar table apologize for the chicken sandwich on his order and mention they took it off the bill. That is a clear indication that you should probably NOT go for that item. Instead, I thought a brunch place could do a good quiche.
Eggs, pastry, cheese, cream and spinach.. what could go wrong? Well, the salad of greens, carrots, tomatoes and unbelievable thick dressing was fine. The quiche? Nothing special. It was overcooked and arrived with the crust broken off on the side of the plate. The quiche mixture had separated in baking so the eggs were like tough scrambled eggs and the goat cheese sat in a layer on top of everything else. It was mediocre at best. Brunch would've been better spent in my PJs at home!
No comments:
Post a Comment