
I am fortunate to have tried The Common Man bar food in Concord, NH on a number of occasions, and am in love with the pretzel roll they serve their burger on in the bar. It is a true experience to enjoy the comforts of a hot, warm pretzel along with a delicious, juicy burger all on one plate! So, when I heard THE COMMON MAN was coming to Portsmouth, I was pretty happy.
We tried the restaurant for the first time during opening weekend and had a good meal, including Lobster Mac N Cheese and French Onion Soup ( a real staple on the comfort food menu.) However, on my return trip last night I varied from my 'common' choices and went for Pot Roast. The meat was tender, and the veggies were fresh. However, it was, well, in a word - common. There wasn't anything very special about it at all. In fact, the garlic & herb mashed potatoes were pretty raw and while the flavor was nice, the texture was a little tough. And sadly, there was no room left in my tummy to try the white chocolate bread pudding which I am INTENT on trying one day... so I was meant to be satiated with the taste of white chocolate that came with the bill. With one large chunk and three crumbs to split between me and my dinner companion, I went the high road and offered the chunk to him. And he took it!? Just kidding.. it's better for my waist line but sadly, my sweet tooth remained unsatisfied. Never a good thing for a chocoholic. We can get ourselves into a lot of trouble (or the remaining serving of the Peanut Butter Pie that is in my freezer, oops!)
So, sadly, the COMMON MAN was in fact common this time around. I might have to stick to the bar menu at the Concord location, or try one of their many other establishments in the chain. Or better yet, try an entirely different restaurant altogether!
No comments:
Post a Comment