Rain or shine, night or day. I love going to the movies.
There is nothing like sitting back in a comfortable, rocking chair as the lights dim and the sound, the surround sound, comes up from the floor, up towards the ceiling and back across the walls to lift the hairs on your arms. And then, the movie begins. You can disappear into the darkness and take part in a story as it unfolds on the screen up ahead.
Yes, the movies are an escape that many of us enjoy. Hollywood is counting on it! Unfortunately, the costs of this escape continue to rise. Ticket prices are now anywhere from $9 to $12. If you purchase them online, ahead of time, you incur processing fees of $1-$3. And this could all before you even step foot into the actual multiplex. So, what happens once you pass through the lobby? Or you take your seat and begin to watch the pre-preview ads and miniclip films? Your tummy rumbles or your mouth runs dry - and that drive-though jingle comes to mind.

Mmmm... yeah. A drink. A drink would be good. So back to the lobby for a drink. A sweating paper cup of bubbly soda with your long straw so you can sip it quietly throughout the flick. But what about a snack? $4 candy? $5 popcorn? $6 nachos? I'm a milkduds gal. The best movie candy E-V-E-R!
So, the tab goes up and up as you go from movie ticket to drink to snack to who knows what. It doesn't often bother me but I am starting to become aware of the fact that some families and friends consider the movies an extra special treat because the cost is prohibitive to take the whole family. The movies used to be the lowest cost family-fun but it's certainly not like that anymore. The cost for a family becomes a challenge.
Innovation is born from challenge. And I witnessed this tonight. Sadly, I may be VERY far behind in this observation but I was impressed. I was impressed by the simple and honest loophole strategy that was employed not by one or two people, but at least four or five that I saw just on my way TO the restroom before my movie started.
You know those arcade games that appears in the lobby of a movie theater, and even sometimes at the entryway to common superstores? We often see the glass tank filled with stuffed animals and a crane, the promise of an easy prize. It's not that easy. Somewhere close by are the gumball machines. Those dusty glass balls that drop a gumball or two down the silver chute for a quarter. A simple turn of that wind-up handle and the gum is dispensed. Well, right next door there are now other quarter-vending machines.Runts, M&Ms, Skittles... a quarter will drop down a small handful of your favorite sweet snack. So evidently, the math started to make sense.
Four quarters equals four turns of the handle, a sizeable portion of sweet snacks. You wouldn't dare spend 12 quarters at those machines. But we'll spend $4 for a box of candy? I suppose w would, if the candy weren't available at a quarter of the price in the little glass vending machines near the games. And so I was caught off guard by the thrifty genius of this means of getting some sweets for the movie. I would be more inclined to sneak in a drink and snack in my bag. But this is not only MORE innovative, but the revenue is still benefitting the multiplex, which I appreciate is a business just trying to survive, like we all are. So, maybe next time I'll just sneak in my own little ziploc. Then my quarter's worth of M&Ms really won't melt in my hand. They can melt in my mouth.. while my leftover money gets to continue burning a hole in my pocket!
Maybe now the whole family can go to the movies together. After we search the couch for lose change at least...

No comments:
Post a Comment