Friday, January 29, 2010

Girl Scout Cookie (Ice Cream) time!


I've always wondered about the appeal of the Girl Scout cookie time - at one point it was because these delicacies were provided only during a small window of time. Also, you could only purchase a box, two or twelve through the door to door sales of the zealous girl scout. So I suppose the mass appeal was a result of the classic economic rule of supply and demand.

Now, however, girl scout cookies are sold in front of large grocery stores and shopping centers at simple displays thanks to the savvy girl scout (and well intentioned mothers). Also, there are tangential products. Including... Edys Girl Scout cookie flavored ice cream!!


The flavors I've noted in my store are Thin Mint, Samoa and Tag-a-long. I admit, I've tried them all and they're good. I mean, REALLY good. It helps that these limited edition ice creams are part of their PREMIERE or GRAND editions, therefore full fat and flavor. But the nostalgia of the girl scout cookie combined with the illusion of a limited supply make for a bombshell marketing campaign in line with the door to door sales of years past. The items are more readily available today, and for a longer period of time somehow the demand still remains strong. In part because I think people like me can pass along the word of how tasty this frozen treat is. As per the Girl Scout motto, "Be prepared"... it's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment