Last night I was struggling with what to eat. I had some items in my freezer and almost nothing to go with them. But what's wrong with a night o' homemade tapas or endless buffet of appetizers? My favorite and perhaps the easiest being Shrimp Cocktail!

And so, I defrosted some frozen, raw shrimp and set some salted water to boiling. But the MAIN reason I mention this portion of my dinner is to highlight the difference in flavor between pre-frozen COOKED shrimp and Frozen Raw shrimp. One comes out tough and chewy with a dull flavor (almost tasteless), the other comes out succulent and sweet. Why is this? By the time you've defrosted pre-cooked shrimp, it might have freezer burn or worse yet, you're adding it to a hot recipe. If that is the case, by definition, the shrimp are going to be overcooked.
I am a new convert to the use of frozen raw shrimp and while it took some adjustment to accept that I wouldn't poison myself by cooking raw shrimp in whatever sauce I was making, the simple 3-6 minutes it takes to cook raw shrimp (3-4 min for boiling, 6-8 min to saute in sauce), is well worth it. I understand the avoidance of the small amount of extra cleaning and removal of the exoskeleton, but if you're a foodie, that's part of the fun. And definitely well worth the additional sweetness that the shrimp yields when cooked to order!
No comments:
Post a Comment