Going back to my British heritage, I was yearning for a pint of beer today.. it was a tough Tuesday (faux Monday after a 'bank holiday' monday), and in general, life is throwing me some serious curve balls. I needed to step out of the way, and rather into the warm and welcoming arms of a british pub. So, the Coat of Arms in Portsmouth, NH was going to have to do the trick; being the only British pub I know of in the near vicinity. I know it serves a mean fish N chips, has malt vinegar for the "chips", curry chips, and bangers & mash. British enough for this expat.
So, I called up a trusty friend who swears by their burgers and we headed through the snow and slush to the trusty COAT OF ARMS.

Seated in the darkened high tables of the bar, I perused the extensive list of draft beers, beer specialty drinks (like Celtic warrior, Black N Tan , etc.) along with their long long list of bottled beers from around the world. I like a belgian white so I settled for the one and only one on their menu, Hoegaarden, with lemon of course.
The best part of the menu here are the sides, as in the beer battered onion rings and fries. Crispy, fried goodness. Enough to make the most vigilant dieter cave. Alas, no diet food on my plate this evening. I got a Beefeater Panini with thinly sliced roast beef, caramelized onions, portabella mushrooms, horseradish mayo on grilled panini bread. Oh, SOOO good. I am not usually one to be tempted by a sandwich for dinner but this was definitely satisfying. And if you're not in the mood for fish N chips, a great alternative. The beer didn't hurt either :)
No comments:
Post a Comment