Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Life and Times

It was a busy weekend.. I can't even recap and give each aspect of the time the credit it deserves. At the very least I can say that Portsmouth is once again opening it's arms to the likes of some very unique and high-quality business that should both encourage new business but also support the loyal consumers that are already frequent patrons of local businesses in the area.

The owners of Fresh Local opened a new restaurant called STREET that is both eclectic and perfect. Situated near the button factory mill buildings, the restaurant answers back to the industrial space with reutilizing bicycle wheels for a chandelier, ladders for wall hangings, and graffiti for artwork. The menu is a graphic display of drawings and words, answering to the call of international foods available from street vendors from Korea to Central America. My friend and I are shared the empanadas which were delicious. I had the Korean bbq meal and my friend had the pork sandwich - everything was great. Especially the shandy!

We followed dinner with a play at the new Music Hall Loft - Love Song. It was a sweet, funny tale of a man who is challenged by mental deficiencies or emotional deficiencies. Craving love. Craving affection. Only wanting to be seen. It was sad. It was good. And the space was perfect.

I went to another art space later in the weekend that was also small, Tupelo in Londonderry. We saw Mindy Smith perform acoustic guitar, and I cherished her "Jolene" and "One Moment More", however sad and however much they stung my soul. She was awkward and she was unprofessional. She was good. She was perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment