Friday, May 13, 2011

Ready for A Dandy Summer!



Wine is fine..















But a SHANDY is dandy!!!








Summer showed it's hand when I was on vacation. Temperatures that lured you to the refreshing pool, breezes that didn't refresh so you hunted down cold drinks and ice cream. It won't be long before our New England Spring disappears, faster then we even realize, and the muggy summer oppression settles over us. I admit there is little that appeals to me about overwhelming heat. I think of air conditioning and pools as my best friends in summer, and thankfully I have access to both.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't prepare for alternate ways to stay cool and work at enjoying a season that seems to disappear almost as fast as it shows up. Barbecues, walks on the beach searching for sea glass, driving with the moon roof wide open, flip flops, maxi dresses, bright flowers, and happy people. And shandys.

I went to a concert last summer with my sister and some new friends. We piled into a new VW van and cracked open the Dogfish beer and Arizona lemonade while sitting in line on the highway amongst hundreds of other concertgoers, eager to pile onto the lawn and see Jack Johnson bring the Hawaii ease to Maryland. It was a special night. It was a HOT night, and aside from having to share a tiny spot of grass with millions of other people, my sister almost missing the one song she knew, and the sweat dripping down the back of my legs, what I remember most are the shandys we drank tailgating.

My tastes have come to clearly prefer the wheat beers - anything that is deliciously accompanied by a lemon, lime or orange slice. They are refreshing and light, some of which self-designated beer connoisseurs scoff at. But I don't think you have to like all beers, of all types, to be considered someone who enjoys beer. Because I enjoy beer. And what I enjoy may be limited, and was once almost reliant upon the company I kept, but now I have a real appreciation for the light froth, a smooth flavor, the cold glass, the tingly bubbles. And for me? I can appreciate mixing it with a cold, refreshing lemonade. For that perfect summer drink. A shandy.

Cheers.





No comments:

Post a Comment