Sunday, May 1, 2011

Breaking News


I am already up FAR too late, but we have presumably learned breaking news that is intended to change the way we have come to live in the past ten years. Osama Bin Laden is dead. Our military forces targeted him in a compound in Pakistan and have recovered his body, shot and killed.

I have little hope or faith that things will change for us here or for those overseas with this news. In fact, it is highly plausible that extremists will use this as an opportunity, excuse or rationalization to strike out once again. A backlash that we certainly don't need or want. Worse yet, it will revitalized extremist operations in the plotting of further terrorist actions against the US and people living here and abroad.

Just because he is dead, we are no safer. It is what he stands for, even still, that we fear. And if we think back to those days 10 years ago this coming September, we recall why that fear resides deep within each of us.

I am not one to act or think politically. I do not often take a strong stance, at least not in an outspoken manner. I believe we are each entitled to our opinions, and as such, the need to debate or argue matters is just that, a need to argue. If we are resolved within ourselves to feel passionate about certain matters, there should not be a need to strike up contentious discussions with others. We can learn, if we are able to hear the other side. But those of you who initiate 'fights' often can't listen.

I've listened. Closely. Often what I hear worries me.. and I guess I just felt that my humble little NH opinion on this was worth recording.. in as much as I hear what the news and the people's reactions are to this announcement. But what I also hear is that nothing is fixed. Nothing has changed. Nope. Instead, we are right where we started... three wars in. And our supposed reason for going into those wars is now gone. But we can't just walk away from those battlegrounds. Nope. We get to keep on fighting.

Isn't that always the case? Seems to be. Always fighting something.

No comments:

Post a Comment