Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Green Monster


In the land of the Red Sox, the "Green Monster" is the famous outfield barrier at Fenway Park. Sitting atop the "Monster" you can usually spot celebrities, local and national, perched in the small boxes peering over the wall at fans down below. Last time I was there, Roger Clemens was seated out there. Not a bad sighting, I guess. I was still more interested in checking out Mike Lowell.. checking out his performance, that is!

The "Green Monster" can have an entirely different connotation though. Perhaps referring to a lawn as it emerges from under the dirty snow, badly in need of some tender loving care. But for me, I refer to the scariest monster of them all.. the sad eyed, pouty lipped, and impenetrable persistence.. of the girl scout!

It is, my dear friends, Girl Scout cookie time. And this year, I need not worry about ducking out behind other supermarket shoppers to evade the adolescent and tween's pleading looks. I have in fact already fallen prey to the fiercest type of girl scout there may ever be.. the one that is related to you!

My darling, sweet, innocent cherub of a niece has blossomed into a selling machine in her green girl scout uniform. Admittedly, her competitive mother (and aunt/Tia, yes me) were intent upon seeing her break records on her first season selling the iconic snacks. And while it may be looked down upon for orders to sweep across state lines via email, it certainly didn't stop this girl scout's Tia from going down her contact list and selling without abandon. 16 boxes later....



So it was no surprise when a large box arrived at my office today.. packed to the brim with the purple, green, yellow and orange boxes we all recognize from afar. The box of Samoas my boss ordered for the office is already poised, ready for the opening in our aptly named "food cube"; front and center for the hungry afternoon snacker. The other boxes I have to begin handing out, one by one.

I wonder how it is that I was more successful selling these cookies on behalf of my niece then I ever was as a girl scout myself. I guess it's true what they say, that you'd do anything for your kids.. and even if they're not my kids (biologically speaking) they may be the closest thing to it I will ever have. And I could not be more proud and more in love with two kids as I am with my monsters.. the green one.. and her brother.

The green monster (in purple) and her brother - December 26, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment