Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pancake Tuesday



The fact that I've only ever associated Pancake Tuesday with pancakes is a good example of my focus on food. Pancake Tuesday, Britain's alternate name for Shrove Tuesday (the Tuesday before Lent),  is the day for people to use up some of the rich pantry items that would be shunned until Easter.  I only really remember one Tuesday where my mom came home and made a special dinner of crepes with lemon and sugar. It was special and unique and stands out clearly in my mind.

While British by heritage, the term "Fat Tuesday" resonates more with me...not for the religious connotations but for the celebratory nature; Mardi Gras, bright colors, rich foods, drinks, overall festivity. That's what I think of when I think of Fat Tuesday. It also happens to make me think of a dear college friend whose birthday falls around this time of year, and whose birthday celebration in college we'd always refer to as "Mandi Gras." We would wear beads and drink heavily. Any excuse to party.

Today is not really Pancake Tuesday or Fat Tuesday for me though. It is just Tuesday. The day after Monday. The day before Wednesday. No pancakes, no King Cake. Just a steaming pot of chili that I made on a whim after driving around uninspired about what to do for dinner. 

It was a long day after a weekend away making me think it as a night for comfort food. I don't generally need a reason to want comfort food though - it's my 'thang!'  The food that fills; something warm, something hearty, something I can cook and rely upon to serve for a few meals throughout the week. So as I walked aimlessly through the grocery store, weary from an emotional day, I knew I didn't want salad, or chicken, or pork, or anything frozen. Definitely not frozen pizza. Or pizza in general for that matter. In fact, I have a love-hate relationship with pizza these days. It's easy. It's too easy. There are many nights when I drive home trying to deciding on dinner and end up deferring to what is easy and fast. Where I live offers few options for easy and fast. Fortunately, there is one nice local place which offers slices and where I can walk in and quickly order two slices to go. They'll heat my Buffalo Chicken and White pizza slices in the brick oven and send me on my way. Yep, that's about it. It's not nearly as good as some pies I've had but it's pretty good. I just wasn't in the mood to do that. Again.

So, I was wandering the Hannaford aisles, trying to figure out something I could cook at 7 o'clock at night that I could eat before 9:00pm, and which I would be willing to eat again. For some reason, I was craving rice. I still find any desire for rice humorous since I distinctly remember overdosing on rice in 1996 when I lived in Ecuador. The mere sight of it would make me gag back then but over time it has slowly become something I do want again, from time to time. Tonight was one of those times. 

So, rice led me to think maybe Rice and beans. I like that but it's not something I've ever cooked. It was too late to start researching recipes. Besides I was too tired. So the closest thing I knew that I sounded good was chili. Ground beef, onion, beans, canned tomatoes, spices. Check. 

I ended up doctoring a recipe I had used a few months back that called for some less 'traditional' spices, like cinnamon and unsweetened cocoa. [Yes believe it.. they even make a chili mixture that includes cocoa - see??]



That first run at the recipe used cinnamon  and unsweetened cocoa. The combination and quantities made the aroma too dessert-like and unappetizing to eat. This time I omitted cinnamon altoether but still put in a small Tbsp of the cocoa, since it really compliments the heat. It was delicious and exactly what I wanted. The fact that it made delectable leftovers to take to work for lunch. BONUS!

Chili is humble food. Ideal for a humble night.














No comments:

Post a Comment