The rants and raves of a New Hampshire gal whose idea of good food ranges from burgers to kobe beef. I thoroughly enjoy great films, live theater and music and am offering my opinion to anyone who cares.. namely as a excuse to let myself keep enjoying these pleasures for something besides JUST my personal enjoyment. Not that my personal enjoyment isn't reason enough, in my humble opinion!
Friday, March 4, 2011
I Love New Hampshire
I love so many things about New Hampshire. Having lived on three different continents, four different countries, and five states within the US, I think I have a good basis for comparison. New Hampshire is the place I have lived the longest and the place I had come to believe was where I would make my home.
While it has taken a long time to get acquainted with the area at large and secure strong friendships, I have never believed it was in vain. Even as we endure a long, harsh winter, I revel in the majesty of newly fallen snow, fresh on the branches and roads.. the calm and the quiet and the white landscape as it glints in the winter sunshine. The mountains, seen from a distance, rise up to the north and west reaching to touch the sky, for skiiers to play both day and night. I am so glad, for even a brief moment, that NH gave me back skiing, even if it has taken it away again temporarily.
Soon it will be Spring and I will begin to see the promise of my lavender tree come to life outside my front door. Birds will sing me awake in the morning (even to my chagrin on the weekends), and I will smile each time I drive over the bridge and marvel at the wild currents stirring up the Piscatagua River as it goes out toward the sea. I am so close to the beach, though rocky at times and littered with broken lobster traps and drift wood, it's raw beauty is also it's charm. The beach is not manicured or groomed. It is what it is just like the people of New Hampshire. No pretense.
And if you come to love the beach, as you will if you don't try to tame it or judge it for not being like Florida or California beaches, you'll stay through our Summer. Hot, humid, and festive.. filled with awesome concerts, fireworks, beach picnics, great baseball at major and minor leage parks. And maybe, just maybe, watching a movie in the backyard projected onto a plain white sheet. Laughing with friends over a summer ale.
Then laughing with friends over an Autumn ale.. leaves slowly turning bright shades of red, orange, yellow and magenta. The trees appearing to be lit on fire.. as cooler breezes sweep in overnight and kitchens begin smelling of pumpkin and apple. And the Topsfield Fair will be back, yet again, with Dan the Candy Man, the australian shepherd herding Canada Walking Ducks, and fried snickers bars.
I love New Hampshire. And yet, part of that comes from being fortunate to be able to get away. Though a creature of comfort, my roots are not planted there, yet. Unearthed, I flee in search of something I have yet to find. As a creature of comfort, I am fortunate to have a few places to go where I welcomed and comfortable. Most of all, here. Deep in the mazes of Maryland, tucked away in a corner. A corner of a home filled with love and smiles, stories and laughter, peace and most importantly, hugs and kisses.
Here, I have a place amongst others. I don't feel that I am left standing alone, straining to cope when times are tough, or searching for someone to celebrate when times are good. Here I am part of a whole, not a part without a whole. Here, I am.
Needless to say, my day was nothing groundbreaking. But I was content. I was awoken by hugs and laughter. I had breakfast amidst smiles and chatting. I worked alongside conversation and music. And even in the quiet moments, of which there were plenty, I didn't feel the hollowness that I have come to know so well. My sister, my niece, and my nephew love me. They embrace me and they will never leave me. Of that I am sure. That is the only thing I am sure of.
I went and saw a movie tonight and was shocked at the authenticity of the relationships projected on screen. Regardless of the fantastic plot, I still saw myself in the characters. Someone who was only too sure of their future in some ways.. certain of their path. And once that path comes before them, it is diverted and they can't for a second begin to understand why. Why the path diverged when it felt so right, and still felt right even after things fell into place. The Hollywood version would only lead these characters to a place that I dare not hope for in my own dreams. I've done it before, many times, and it has only proven to make me a bigger fool each time. Each time believing this one was different. This one was real. If I wanted and hoped enough, even for us both, things would come to be. Well, I guess it's fair to say that I had to leave that fairy tale in the theater tonight.. the same way that I'll leave the embrace of this home when I have to go back to NH again. But like leaving NH makes me appreciate what it has to offer, leaving Maryland is also a reminder of what I have here. What I can return to. That this isn't a movie. It's not a fairy tale. It's not a hope or a dream. It's something I can count on. People I can count on. And people I love. And while I love New Hampshire, I love my sister, my niece and my nephew more.
People over places, any day and every day. You can love a place, but it can't love you back. Sadly, the same goes for some people. But lucky for me, these people in this house love me back. And in their love, I can try to heal. I can try.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment