I suffer my own pains, angst and sadness. But I was shaken by news today that was both unexpected and horrifying. My dear friend, Kristina, has lost her brother, Craig, to Sarcoma. He was 34 years old, the father of a beautiful son, Cody, and an much adored friend, brother and son. He will be missed terribly.
I met Craig once. I had plans to meet Kristina for dinner at our favorite summer spot, the Ice House, last year. She called me the day we were meeting to say her brother and mother had stopped by and wondered if they could join us. The four of us ordered plates of typical summer fare, fried baskets, and ate at a picnic table outside. The weather was great, but the mood was somber. It was as it no one dared talk of the disease and yet, it was hard to not talk about what was obviously consuming everyone's thoughts. Over ice cream, I asked Craig how he was.. and there was almost an audible sigh of relief that I had broken the trance. That he could talk about it. Acknowledge what everyone was afraid to bring up. Again.. Craig left an indelible impression on me from this chance encounter. I won't even try to explain, as that would be an injustice; words can only serve to minimize his affect. His character was both strong and nurturing. For someone who was in the throws of extreme cancer treatment, he portrayed none of the weakness that his frail body was evidence of. I had hoped to get to know Craig; to get to harness some of the calm and peace that he seemed to have found. And it is so clear he was loved. And that he loved. Especially his precious son, Cody, who will sadly not grow up to know his amazing father.
You will be missed Craig. A lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment